Tip for the day

Isn't it strange that evolution would give us a sense of humor? When you think about it, it's weird that we have a physiological response to absurdity. We laugh at nonsense. We like it. We think it's funny. Don't you think it odd that we appreciate absurdity? Why would we develop that way? How does that benefit us? I suppose if we couldn't laugh at things that don't make sense we couldn't react to a lot of life. I can't tell if that's funny or really scary. Calvin

Don’t struggle to change. Struggle strengthens what you are trying to change.
- Cheri Huber


A day without laughter is a day wasted.
- Charlie Chaplin


I'm sure you already know, but if you hit 'READ MORE', the article opens, if it is not already open. If you click my anger mgt. banner, the entire list opens.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

previous haiku

Yaaaaaay! I retrieved my old haiku from an older blog! I was really upset that I lost them. I know, no one cares about haiku, but that's tough. I worked hard on these.

CURMUDGEON'S WEEKLY HAIKU CONTEST COLLECTION

This week's topic: Independence

 .

It meanders on
traveling willy nilly .
Stream without purpose.




 Don't forget...
Freedom isn't free,
attested to by white stones
Down payment for you.: This one won.





Staples out today!
MY sweaty leg brace is chucked!
It's tap dancing time!!
!


Topic: yield
Get outta my way
Another ramp's coming up
I'll get out the Glock


This week's contest is hosted by Doom. Doom haiku Monday

Topic: the little things. 6/19/13

Toilet seat freezing.
Paper over or under?
It's a moot point now. 



Evening solitude
The glittering mountain lake
Deeper than starlight


Yawn: drowsy sunlight
my shadow melts into me
for contemplation.




_______________________________________________________________________________
The shaft leaves the string
another two thousand times.
Gold target trembles 



Jennifer Nichols
With my shoulder, I can't lift a coffee cup, but I can shoot a bow, because you have to learn to use back muscles instead of shoulder. Hurting my shoulder was the best thing that ever happened to my skill level. Jennifer Nichols is a two time Olympian, world cup winner, and etc. I have the exact same bow only black and mine probably has less poundage to pull. I don't use stabilizers or sights. These guys shoot hundreds of arrows every day and can hit a gold target the size of a CD at 70 meters. She is one of my hero's. A male archer (Im Dong Hyung) from Korea Is legally blind and only has 10% of his vision and is constantly ranked between the first and sixth best archer in the world. Some times I feel like I'm trying to make a hole in a rock by blowing on it when I practice. You can imagine how much they shoot...eight hrs or more a day. Compound shooting is more aiming and recurve shooting is more execution and form. I don't want offended compound shooters leaving me nasty notes. Both take skill but, I never shoot compounds.


Continuous will 
shakes forces of creation
from the infinite.
Im Dong Hyung
________________________________________________
Can't seem to achieve
the escape velocity…
Late for work again


 


Topic was tightrope. 1-16-13

Walking to my death,
the cold rain falls on my dreams.
Too close for comfort!




 







Topic was rock edifice 11/19/12



GARDEN OF THE GODS: huge red sandstone tourist attraction by Co Springs.

Morning is blood red.
Orange sand grates the skin.
in the Gods Garden.























Topic was addictions. 9/25.12

Garish lights summon
demons of  cold derelicts 

yielding to the pain.(Winner)



_Tip flares and smoke writhes.
I drag.  My lungs fill with smoke

Ahhhh... Damn! I promised.


.______________________________________________________________________



9/18
 The topic is "chameleon" Here is his link Ramblings from my typer
 Peoples Masks Photo picture

Hiding in smiles and words,
they'll never find the true me
Wonder if I will?

Make-up hides my face.
I adjust my mask and veil.
Summer flings are short.





topic: unexpected 8/26/12
  
small hunter giggles
and deposits a sticky kiss
my heart is captive 






Slinking through the weeds,
I stalk wary antelope
Ssssserpent rears it's head.(winner.


_______________________________________________________________________

topic happy hour.


Armor piercing looks
incapacitates my brain.
Is this my tenth beer?
One pic works for both

Nothing bad happens
that a few drinks can't make worse.
Make mine a root beer.

_______________________________________________________________________


Solitary retreat is the topic at the ever classy Fishy's



All the birch branches
outlined in white crayon snow.
Winter solitude.(winner)









In a patch of sun
A squirrel nibbles pine nuts
I forget the cold.






_______________________________________________________________________


I spent my whole life 
a bell and never knew it 
until I was struck

_______________________________________________________________________



on my winter walk,
weaving in the spots of sun,
my dark shadows melt.(winner)










Shadows flit and dance.
A sycamore tree is glad.
Childhood's popcicle 

a

_______________________________________________________________________


8/1/12 topic was grey.


bright convertibles
cannot hide tedious lives
of mundane owners
 


dark morning moments
monochrome winter sky rests
my soul's silhouette

 

_______________________________________________________________________


vengeance 7/16/12


Rain with a vengeance.

Fires destroy homes and forest.

A sapling peeks out.


 

 

MONDAY HAIKU


Monday haiku!!!!   Topic sultry Foam. 6/16/12

A clothes tornado
I gaze through steamy windows
I hate laundromats

 

_______________________________________________________________________



 

 

 

 

Magical bizarre place Rafa host

 

afternoon light fades
insomnia induced words
follow unseen paths 


Ernest Hemmingway.
life creeps in my brain
struggling with words in my head
restless syllables
_____________________________________________________

Surprise topic

sleeping neighborhood's
tranquility is shattered
by lawn mowing’s song

 

____________________________________
Children dance in snow.
A streaking white meteor
interrupts my dream.

 



Topic hurricane.
!
Karl is hosting this weeks haiku contest. The topic is hurricane. The link is:
http://karlkorner.blogspot.com/

 


Evil detritus
flies like bullets up the streets.
Butterflies are gone. 


______________________________________________________________________________



spinning topic

Like one half a moth
the autumn maple seed falls
while spinning the world

_________________________________________________________________________________
topic : crossroads 5-7-12




The sun will lead me
towards a new direction.
Time to let it go______________________________________




These pics were selected by chickory to base our haiku on this week

Nick Peterson did these. If you would like to see the rest of the series go to:
Nick Peterson on the Behonce network

4/24/12 topic was from three pics. I picked this one.



Now What?

No beer!? Can't go on.
Wretched life not worth living.
Liver for supper!!!?


My head down, I climb.
Birds and trees follow behind.
Heaven touches earth.




This was kind of apropos, The morning after I wrote this I had to have my poor Poppy the Pit bull put down. We woke up and she was paralyzed and couldn't move. She really was the best dog we ever had. Not a mean bone in her body. People stereotype Pit bulls, but if any of the haters ever knew Poppy, they would repent of that ignorant attitude. She was a poster child for good Pits.


 


Smokey room smolders.
Hypnotic wisps undulate.
Belly dancer writhes.



The smell of old dust.
Child's bear stares in the attic.
I hear a small voice.











"April Fool"



My sense of humor 
is not an easy burden
pain is why we laugh
_________________________________________________________________________



Winds of march paint with

bright Easter colored kites


above hopeful trees.






__________________________________________________________________________________ 

March 26, 2012   Topic: Eggs

Spring brings yellow chicks.

From the broken shells leap life.

Gods promises kept.

 

 
















 

 

 

 

 

 

Huevos rancheros
transforms breakfast to heaven.
Like some? Gone. Too bad.

 

 


_______________________________________________________
3/19/12
 terror  







Gibbering fiends prance
around your bed in the night. 
Madness creeping near.







Nerve ends raw with fear.
Cold shivers crawl up your 
 spine. 
Nothing but the cat.


This is exactly what my cat Meeka looks like, a Maine Coon.  She is probably smaller and has no tail due to being a Manx.
Manx's can be any kind of a cat. We even had a Himalayan cat once that was a Manx.  Manx's are hypo-allergenic, and I am allergic to normal cats.




















my entries  3/2/12
Climbing to heaven.
Hearing the rock's vast silence
Mountain grows older.





___________________________________________________________________________________
odd this one won. I redid it several times and made a mess out of  foams blog.

The moon speaks to me
all the things I cannot hear
during the day's noise. 


.                                               












_________
my entries  3/2/12
Admit something: Everyone you see, you say to them, "Love me."
Of course you do not do this out loud, otherwise someone would call the cops.
Still though, think about this, this great pull in us to connect. Why not become the one who lives with a full moon in each eye that is always saying, with that sweet moon language, what every other eye in this world is dying to hear?  Hafiz











2/13/2012




The other red meat.
The cooking lobster
doesn’t feel it boil in time
Guess who's the lobster.

A blanket of smog
colors the land monochrome
cold grey inversion

















 Greenhouse gases raise
the detritus of humans
The Mid east thanks you!


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------








.


Wind blows. A branch groans.
In silence he pounced on her.
Mom? Can I sleep here?


Island Rider
Is our haiku winner this week and has selected "Pest" as our topic Check out her web on link above for rules.9\24\12


A fly is buzzing
And I am hunting it - SWAT!
I am the winner!




But alas, I'm not!
Fly has escaped - still buzzing,
My office, destroyed!




My pressure-cooked head.
throbbing, pounding, and squeezing -
migraines bite, big time!








 



Starting to hate it.
Always typing the same stuff!
Stupid resume!

 



============================================================================

Clock screams, trash trucks howl
prying dark from my locked eyes.
The coffee god reigns. 

 



_________________________________________________________________________________



Midnight denizens
raucous alley rhapsodies
spawns small furry loves. 


 
______________________________________________________________________________________
Pale light ignites sight.
Freezing bones plead "Fifteen more!"
Oh! Today's the day




____________________________________________________________________________________




____________________________________________________________________________________
spinning topic

Like one half a moth
the autumn maple seed falls
while spinning the world





Snip and spin. Hair flies.
Bay rum smells like Christmas day.
My eyebrow's missing!
===================================
silver topic
 Judas betrays Jesus for thirty pieces of silver.
Nails and wooden cross
only cost thirty pieces.
"It is done", He said.


He said it is finished, but there were too many syllables.
============================================================================
silver topic
Bogart and Bacall,
every silver screen has them,
Here's looking at you
.


=======================================================================


Golden leaves? Dead leaves?
You don't see things as they are.
You see what you are.














____________________________________________________________________________________
the chaste snow kisses
the ground with a soft passion
in memory's hoard
    
__________________________________________________________________________________


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


my entries for 1/23/12
Desires fade away 
with a moment of beauty
I am born again.
(Put your period where you want.)

 I wrote this haiku for a pleasant walk and a girl I never met forty five years ago by a well. Oh, and for Shannon.

=============================================================
Her heart has eyes that
her brain knows nothing about.
She dreams of spring rain.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bare feet slap pavement
                 nimbly dancing over worms.
                  Melting clouds murmur.





------------------------------------------------------
rain
Eyes drip black, hair clings.
She quakes with cold thoughts and sighs,
cursing loveless ghosts.
















-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
metallic sounds

Charlie Parker 
 

Down slow and smokey
with closed eyes he soars and squeals.
Drinks clink, brass sax bawls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morning mist, elk's screams
A shaft glides on deaths fleet wings.
Miss! No meat tonight
(This one won for hunting topic.)

Elk laughing his butt off.







hunting topic

Perfectly hidden.
Sneaking quietly I pounce.
At last, my car keys!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------





One I wrote judging a haiku contest, I kinda liked it.
Eyes with dark circles
looking at awesome haiku.
What now? Brain's spinning.


4 comments:

  1. The pic with the autumn leaves is magnificent.
    The "notes" next to many of the pics are well thought out - thought provoking.
    Salagatle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pics are just an add-on and voluntary. The words are supposed to be haiku poetry, just not very good poetry, but I like that one especially. I won with that haiku.

      You should try playing it. It's very easy, 17 syllables, five on the first line, seven on the second line, and five on the third. There should be a 'cutting' and a seasonal reference. Look it up on wiki, and try it. It's very very easy, even I can do it and I get lost going to the grocery store.

      I really like the people I play with. Rafa won last week. He even does his own art. http://ramblingsfrommytyper.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  2. Grins:
    You've got some real winners in there (even the ones not tagged as "winner"). Super glad you got them all back and it was fun re-reading them and finding some I somehow missed.

    You really can write a powerful punch...nice, nice, & NICE!

    Rafa

    ReplyDelete